At the weekend, we were proud to learn that Doncaster, where we are situated, has been granted a city status! In honour of the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee, Doncaster was among eight places that were awarded city status.
This year was the first time that applications for city status could be submitted by within British Overseas Territories and the Crown Dependencies which led to Stanley in the Falkland Islands and Douglas on the Isle of Man being among the winners of the title.
Proud of Doncaster
Our, now, city of Doncaster was successful in receiving the city status thanks to a number of reasons:
- The community spirit and resilience after the 2019 floods.
- The city has more than 70 places of worship with its mosques and gurdwaras becoming pop-up vaccination centres during the pandemic.
- Doncaster was originally a roman settlement and has a long history within the rail and coal industry. Famous trains such as The Flying Scotsman and The Mallard were built there.
We are also proud of Doncaster’s amazing facilities. Like the:
- Doncaster Racecourse which is home to the world’s oldest classic horse race: the St. Leger Stakes.
- The Doncaster Sheffield Airport that has been voted the UK’s best airport by Which? Magazine three years in a row.
- The Yorkshire Wildlife Park which is home to a bunch of amazing animals!
We are so proud to be a part of a city like Doncaster!